Thursday, October 20, 2011

Blog Post #4: The Archetypes

     In The Outcast of 19 Schuyler Place there is a protagonist and antagonist.  There is also a shapeshifter.  I think the protagonist is Margaret.  I believe that the antagonist are all of the people who want the towers destroyed.  The shapeshifters are the people who can't decide if they want to the towers to stay or if they want them demolished.  Some of trhe archetypes are obvious and others are not so obvious. The archetypes play a major part in the story because in some cases they are the ones that can change how the story goes.  I think that the protagonist and the antagonists are the mnost important archetypes because it is kind of like a battle between them both through out the book.

     I believe that that the protagonist is Margaret Rose Kane.  She is the one who is trying to be the hero and save the towers from being destroyed.  Nobody else is trying to save them as much as she is.  If they are saved and the towers are not demolished, she would be the hero.  Margaret is like the hero in a comic book. She is trying to save everyone and eveything.  She is always trying to do the right thing.  Margaret loves the towers and would hate to see them get destroyed that is why she is trying to hard to save them.  When Margaret had found out that they were going to be demolished she was very upset but the had the energy and power to try and save them.  Margaret did not let her emotion get in the way of her true goal, to save the towers.

     I think the the antagonist are the people who want the towers destroyed.  Many people are being selfish and want the towers destroyed because they don't like them where they are.  I believe that the antagonists are the people who want the towers destroyed because the people who want the towers gone is who Margaret is trying to fight against.  The antagonists are very greedy and selfish and are not thinking about how other people's emotions.  Some people don't want the towers because they are saying that the towers are lowering how much their homes are worth.  Others are saying it's not safe to be there.  All of the antagonists agree on something, they just want them gone.

     The shapeshifters would have to be the people who do not know what they want.  The people can't decide whether they want the towers or not.  They continue to switch sides.  The shapeshifters can not decide what they want.  I do not think that the shapeshifters play a major part in the whole process to get the towers destroyed.  I believe that whether the towers stay or go is not important to any of the shapeshifters because if it was the would have decided already.

     In conclusion, I believe that the archetypes in the book play a major part.  If the reader finds out who the archetypes are it allows the reader to learn more about those characters.  That is why I believe that Margaret is the protagonist or hero, the people who do not want the towers anymore are the antagonist and the shapeshifters are the ones who can not make up their minds.  This book can connect to the world because there are always people that are not going to agree and be on different sides.  This book is an example of that and it relates to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment